Monday, September 10, 2012

Tone mapping

I made a slight change to my GPU path tracer in color transferring.

Previous I was using gamma correction, with gamma equals 2.2, now I'm using the tone mapping operator proposed by Paul Debevec. 

The difference is shown as following:

In the 1st comparison group I turned off the depth of field, just in order to focus on the color difference. And the render time is only 150s, no sufficient for full convergence but good enough for color comparison.
 Image rendered with tone mapping operator
Image rendered with Gamma correction

In the 2nd comparison group I kept all the features on and take 600s for the image to be fully converged.

Image rendered with tone mapping operator

Image rendered with Gamma correction

For the gamma correction group I'm using radiance 16 for the light, but for the tone mapping group I'm using 75 for light.

Personally speaking I prefer tone mapping. It's not that shiny and looks way much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment